Finance · Deals
Malaysia's Syed Mokhtar Drops $2 Billion Port Listing Plan
MMC Corporation has pulled the plug on what would have been the country's largest IPO in over a decade, sending advisers home after months of preparation.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
- ·MMC Corporation has instructed advisers to halt the planned IPO of MMC Port Holdings, which aimed to raise $2 billion and value the operator at up to $7 billion.
- ·The port business recorded net profit of 761 million ringgit on revenue of 4.36 billion ringgit for the year ending December 2024.
- ·Any future listing attempt will require a fresh regulatory application and complete restart of the approval process.
The Deal That Won't Happen
Syed Mokhtar Albukhary has called off the public offering of his port business. The Malaysian billionaire's conglomerate, MMC Corporation, told advisers to stop work on the listing of MMC Port Holdings, two people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to The Edge.
One source described the move as final. "It's officially off," the person said, adding that market conditions make a near-term listing unlikely.
The cancellation marks the end of a process that began in June of last year. Malaysia's Securities Commission approved the offering in September, but MMC Corporation delayed the debut to 2026, citing a desire to include full-year financial results to strengthen the valuation case.
What Was on the Table
The proposed share sale aimed to raise approximately $2 billion and attach a valuation of up to $7 billion to the port operator. Had it proceeded, the transaction would have ranked as Malaysia's largest IPO since 2012.
By June this year, MMC Port had shifted strategy. Instead of pursuing a public listing, the company began approaching potential investors for a minority stake sale, seeking a $10 billion valuation for the entire business.
Any future attempt to list the company will require a fresh regulatory application and a complete restart of the approval process, according to the New Straits Times.
The Business Behind the Aborted IPO
MMC Port operates six ports and three cruise terminals across Malaysia, making it the country's largest container port operator. For the financial year ending December 31, 2024, the company recorded net profit of 761.12 million ringgit ($188 million) on revenue of 4.36 billion ringgit. Total assets stood at 15.36 billion ringgit against liabilities of 9.56 billion ringgit.
The company remains wholly owned by MMC Corporation, where Syed Mokhtar holds a controlling interest.
Last month, MMC Port drew scrutiny over the appointment of Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem as executive chairman. Civil society groups urged Syed Mokhtar to reverse the decision, citing the Emirati executive's alleged connections to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
The Man Behind MMC
Forbes estimated Syed Mokhtar's net worth at $3.5 billion in April, ranking him as Malaysia's tenth-richest individual. His wealth stems primarily from stakes in automotive conglomerate DRB-HICOM and MMC Corporation, which also operates Senai International Airport in Johor Bahru.
The tycoon started as a rice trader after leaving high school and built a diversified empire spanning ports, airports, automotive manufacturing, and real estate.
Another IPO in the Pipeline
The port listing is not the only public offering Syed Mokhtar has pursued. He is also working toward an IPO for WM Senibong, a Johor-based property developer he operates as a joint venture with Australia's Walker Corporation. That transaction could raise up to 500 million ringgit and value the company at 2 billion ringgit, though it has encountered obstacles.
The abandonment of the MMC Port listing removes one of Southeast Asia's most closely watched potential offerings. For Malaysia's capital markets, it also eliminates what would have been a rare large-cap addition to Bursa Malaysia, which has struggled to attract sizable listings in recent years.
The decision reflects broader headwinds facing Asian IPO markets, where rising interest rates and economic uncertainty have dampened investor appetite for new issues. Malaysia has been particularly affected, with several high-profile listings delayed or downsized over the past two years.
Whether Syed Mokhtar pursues an alternative exit for MMC Port - through a strategic sale or private placement - remains unclear. For now, the port business will continue operating under full ownership of MMC Corporation, generating steady cash flow from Malaysia's container trade without the scrutiny that comes with being a publicly traded entity.
RELATED STORIES
Spot something wrong? Email editor@briefasia.com. We log every correction publicly.



